Problems connecting to the Search Service

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Hi,

I downloaded the project wsp file and deployed succesfully. I also use LogParser to parse the IIS logs in the databse LogTable, and I followed your instructions carefully.
But I still have an error. When I'm adding the webpart and configure it with the good connection chain etc., I get the error :
"A problem occurred while trying to load the most frequently used pages. The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service."

Do you have any idea on how could I fix this please ?

(For the record I'm using this solution on a SharePoint 2010 environment)

Thanks in advance !
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1) We've moved on at work so I haven't tested this in 2010. That said,

2) Do you have a search service set up for this farm? Is it configured to search the site the page is installed on?

My only real advice is to google the error. :)
Feb 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Hi, you're probably right. I just realized that the search service wasn't set up in my test environment. So I guess that's why the WP doesn't work.

I just have a quick question though, do you think that the WP will work if my SQL database is on another server ? (So if I run a script on my SP server to parse my IIS logs on another firm, will the script work ?)

Thanks for your quick reply !
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM
It should work. When I had it running at my shop the SQL Server was on another server from the SharePoint server. As long as the connection string has "Server=xyz" in it and as long as xyz is network accessible from the SharePoint server, I don't see why it wouldn't.